Protect Your Teeth During Play With Mouthguards in Plano
At My Dentist in Plano, we have many restorative dentistry procedures for repairing damaged teeth. However, you’ll avoid cost and hassle by preventing damage from occurring in the first place. That’s why our Plano, TX mouthguards are a good idea. According to the Journal of the American Dental Association, up to 39 percent of all dental injuries are related to sports. That’s a lot of injuries! We can fit you for a custom-made athletic mouthguard to protect you during play.
Our athletic mouthguards:
One of the most common things that we see here at My Dentist in Plano is the need for a nighttime bruxism device, something we call a night guard. I would say probably about 90 percent of our patients, we recommend some kind of a bruxism or nighttime grinding device. At night, it's a natural parafunctional habit to release stress by grinding your teeth together, and everybody does it whether you're cognizant or aware of it or not. Most everybody does it, and the wear and tear on your teeth can be ... it can cause cracked, broken teeth. It can cause you to lose teeth. It can cause root canals. It can cause pain and discomfort, not only in your teeth but also in the jaws that are associated with masticatory function, or with chewing. We recommend night guards to prevent these kinds of problems.
- Fit Better – Since our mouthguards are made from impressions of your teeth, they fit better than a mouthguard bought at a sporting goods store.
- More Comfortable – A better fit means they are more comfortable. You won’t be tempted to leave your custom mouthguard on the sidelines.
- Offer the Right Level of Protection – Dr. Dickson will make sure you get a level of protection appropriate for the sport you play.
- Leave Fit to the Professionals – Many store-bought mouthguards require you to put them in boiling water, then try to mold them to your teeth while they are still warm. It’s much easier, and more effective, to let Dr. Dickson take impressions of your teeth.
- Help You Show Team Support – You can get your custom mouthguard customized in team colors.
Prevent the Effects of Bruxism With a MouthguardRead Transcript
Here at My Dentist in Plano, we make a lot of athletic mouthguards. We have a lot of kiddos that are in sports and dangerous, rough sports like football, martial arts, wrestling, lacrosse. If you're not wearing an athletic mouthguard, watch out because you might end up with a broken tooth, or you might even, God forbid, have a tooth knocked out. It's too easy to make an athletic mouthguard that you can wear during your sports activities to keep your teeth always protected.
Bruxism (teeth grinding) is a habit that can wear down the enamel on your teeth, making you more prone to tooth decay and gum disease. Grinding has also been linked to TMJ disorders, which cause jaw pain and other unpleasant symptoms. Dr. Dickson can fit you for a custom anti-grinding mouthguard that gently moves your jaw into a position that prevents grinding.
Call 972-737-7039 today for more information on mouthguards in Plano, TX. Whether you need one for sports or for bruxism, we’ve got you covered! You’ll find our office at 6545 Preston Road, Ste. 100 in Plano. We’re located near Gulledge Elementary School and Preston Creek Montessori.