Professional Teeth Whitening in Plano, TX
Delivering effective teeth whitening services to enhance your smile.
Zoom! Laser Whitening
Tooth whitening has captured the imagination of the public in recent years. Following ABC’s Extreme Makeover television program, many patients are coming forward and demanding Zoom! Laser Whitening from their cosmetic dentist. The Zoom! chairside teeth whitening system was brought to the market by Discus Dental Inc. In this system, the company supplies the dentist with all materials needed for bleaching: the tooth whitener, the bleaching light, and some of the disposable items needed for treatment.
The older Zoom! whitening system uses a hydrogen peroxide-based whitening gel. This product comes as two individual components, a 32 percent hydrogen peroxide gel and an “activator.” The two components are mixed together to form the working gel, which is then applied to the surface of the teeth. The newer Zoom teeth whitening system allows the dentist to choose between 16 or 25 percent whitener.
Even though it is called laser whitening, no lasers are used in the procedure. The Zoom! Teeth whitening system uses a mercury metal halide light. The wavelength emitted from the bleaching unit is in the 350 to 400 nm range, giving the light a bluish-green tinge. The bleaching light is involved in activation of the “activator” chemical within the whitening gel, which according to the company, speeds up the process of degradation of the hydrogen peroxide, thereby providing excellent whitening results within one hour. Zoom! Advanced Power Plus utilizes three 15-minute applications of 25 percent hydrogen peroxide whitener.
What are the different steps in the Zoom! Whitening procedure?
- The pre-treatment shade of the teeth will be recorded to assess the results of the treatment using a shade-guide. Photographs may also be taken for better comparison.
- Professional tooth cleaning and polishing should be done before the procedure. Gums must be healthy and all defective fillings must be replaced.
- The teeth are isolated using a rubber dental dam or paint-on dam. A cheek retractor is used to keep the cheeks away from the teeth. This is done to protect the gums and soft tissues of the mouth. Eye protection and a protective bib is also provided.
- After drying, the dentist will apply the gel to the surface of the teeth.
- The gel is activated using the light source.
- The gel is left on the tooth surface for the prescribed amount of time.
- After completion, the whitening gel is removed with the dental dam.
- Post treatment shade evaluation is done.
- Fluoride gel is applied, in certain cases, to prevent sensitivity.
- At-home teeth whitening may be prescribed by your Plano cosmetic dentist for regular touch-ups between appointments. The treatment is continued until a satisfactory shade is reached.